春季棲息於菜園之土表或表土，夏季則喜棲息於田畦上之蔬菜或濶葉雜草等之根部近處。棲息深度距土表約3至5cm。至目前為止尚無安全而可靠之防治藥劑或方法，供試藥劑中，以10％Controven G，10％Thimet G及3％Furadan G效果較佳，而葉面噴射之藥效效果不彰。
Studies on the Population Dynamics of Hypogastura armata (Nicolet) and its Control
W. S. Chen
1. Hypogastura armata (Nicolet) was one of the key pests on vegetables and occurred throughout the vegetable growth area of Shi-lou, Shih-lin, Hsin-chung, Ban-chao, and Shan-choun.
2. The peak of the population dynamics was between February and May. The pest always appeared and reached its population peak in spring when it’s a rainy season. On the contrary, the population increased slowly and the density was often lower during the drought season. The lowest population density appeared when the heavy rain was coming during the summer season.
3. When the sunshine was coming, H. armata (Nicolet) always escaped from the soil surface to the shelter or the suture of the earth. In summer, the pest usually hid under the shelter near the root of the vegetables or grass, which grew on the foot path of the vegetable farm. The pest always hid under 3 to 5 cm depth of the soil.
4. The vegetables such as edible amaranth and Pai-tsai (a kind of cabbage) always suffered the damage and lost its value for market.
5. Up to date, it’s too hard to find the safe and effective insecticide for control the pest. According to the screen test, 10% Controven G, 10% Thimet G, 3% Furadan G and 5% Controven G were more effective for control the pest. The foliage treatment were in poor effectiveness. So, trying to find the safe and economic method for control the pest was necessary now.