Breeding of Muskmelon Varieties (3)
Studies on the Transference of Monoecious Sex Expression and the Utilization for Female Parents
S. L. Hwang
1. Monoecious sex expression of muskmelon was controlled by one pair of dorminant gene, the segregated ratio was 3.14 to 1 (x2=0.03, p=0.5), we could transfer the good characters of andromonoecious varieties to monoecious varieties by back cross method for female parents of F1 hybrid seed production.
2. It could fix the inbred lines of monoecious sex expression easily and reach applying step in short period (F6) by back cross method series. If using back cross-self pollinated alternated method, it could select more complicated gene, but it took times (F10) to reach the applying step.
3. Utilized the varieties of monoecious sex expression for female parents of F1 hybrid seed production could promote the purity of F1 hybrid seeds. If using andromonecious varieties for female parents, the stamens of hermaphrodite usually matured during the bud stage and emasculated incompletely, so the self-pollinated seeds might mix with the F1 hybrid seeds and effect the purity of F1 seed.
4. Utilized the varieties of monoecious sex expression for female on F1 hybrid seed production could promote the pollinated percentage from 66% (andromonoecious) to 95% and save about 50% of labors.
5. The studies of male-sterility strains and gynoecious plant were under the applied step, but the bred of monoecious inbred lines were the economic and practices method on F1 hybrid seed production.