The research on the nursing of rice seedling in the paper-cushion bed
W. H. Lee
The collection of bed-soil is getting more difficult when the rice transplanter becomes more popular. A new solution to this problem is necessary, so we made an attempt to find out some new materials which could be used to substitute the soil for raising seedling. One kind of paper cushions made of paper tissues was tested in these experiments.
1. 8-8-4 gram/box of N:P:K fertilizers should be uniformly spread on the newspaper which was laid on the bottom of the box. Since fertilizer would cause damage on the rice seedling if it were applied on the top soil which was used to cover the seeds.
2. Since the water keeping ability of the paper-cushion was stronger than that of the soil, therefore, rice seedlings growing in the paper-cushion were more resistant to freezing and water shortage.
3. The senescence in the paper-cushion rice seedlings was appeared later than that in the soil seedlings.
4. The data showed that straws, un-milled hulls, and saw-dust were not good for nursing purpose.
5. The optimum weight of paper-cushion for nursing was from 240 gram to 280 gram per box
The data above indicated that paper-cushion can be used as a new material to substitute the soil for rice nursing, but it is too expensive to be adopted.